Things to do in Durham
Located right downtown, staying at Aloft Durham Downtown gives you easy access to the city's best. In addition to exploring everything on the surrounding blocks, be sure and check out our favorite things to do in Durham below:
- Durham Performing Arts Center - This event venue hosts over 180 shows each year, including Broadway tours, comedy shows, and concerts. The DPAC is considered the best performing arts center in the region.
- Duke Hospital: Considered to be one of the best hospitals in the nation, Duke Hospital works diligently to improve medicine and health both locally and globally.
- Blue Devils Stadium - Catch a game at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Duke's West campus and cheer on men and women's basketball and women's volleyball.
- Brightleaf Square - Nestled between two renovated tobacco warehouses, Brightleaf Square is a combination of excellent dining and shopping, all within a historic backdrop.
- Golden Belt - The heart of all things art in Durham, the Golden Belt is a restored textile mill that features galleries, live music, and performances. The third Friday of every month offers guests the opportunity for free art viewings at 30 studios within the building.
- Durham Bulls Athletic Park - Catch a game during your stay in Durham.
- Historic Stagville - Located just north of the city, Stagville is a preserved plantation from the pre-Civil War South. It was once home to over 900 slaves across nearly 30,000 acres of property. Now, self-guided tours take visitors through time to what life used to be like.
- Museum of Life + Science - Kids of all ages will enjoy the interactive exhibits at this local museum. Voted one of the most family-friendly museums in the Southeast, visitors can experience an expansive butterfly house, outdoor exhibits with bears and wolves, and conduct their own fossil dig amongst dinosaurs.
- Duke Gardens - Take a break and stroll the 55-acre public gardens on Duke University's campus. Learn about native plants and those unique to other parts of the world, enjoy a bite to eat at the on-site cafe, or take a guided tour throughout the space.
- Patterson's Mill Country Store - Take a step back in time to the 1870s, which combines relics from the past, including an impressive pharmaceutical collection, with local crafts and other wares available for purchase.
- Research Triangle Park - Corporate travelers will enjoy close proximity to Research Triangle Park, located just five miles away.
- RDU Airport - If you're flying into the city, our hotel is 10 minutes from the airport.
- Duke Lemur Center - As the world' largest collection of lemurs outside of Madagascar, the Duke Lemur Center seeks to combine teaching and research to boost conservation efforts for this endangered species. Tours are conducted by appointment only, and available seven days a week.
- Duke University - Tour the historic campus of Duke University during your visit and take in the Gothic and Georgian architecture throughout.